Exhibitions

A core business of Judicap and a major feature to achieve its ends is the arrangement of exhibitions. They vary in nature and character and may be permanent, temporary or traveling. We have arranged expositions at home and abroad and at the invitation of public and private parties alike. A survey of exhibitions offered over past years may illustrate the wide range of options.

The Hague, International Centre of Justice and Peace

In 2003, at the invitation of the Dutch Ministry for Foreign Affairs and occasioned by the chairmanship of the Netherlands of the OSCE, the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe in Vienna, JUDICAP arranged an exhibition on The Hague as an International Centre of Justice and Peace. The exhibition was on display in:

 

  • Vienna (Hofburg) : OSCE Headquarters – March 2003 (pictures captured in image gallery on the right)
  • Vienna (UN International Centre) – April 2003
  • Geneva (UN Headquarters, Palais des Nations) – September 2003
  • Sofia (Municipal Galery) – October 2003
  • The Hague (City Hall, Atrium) – June 2004 (pictures captured in image gallery on the right)
  • Petersburg (Russian Association of International Law) – June 2004

 

A catalogue to accompany the exhibition was published by Jongbloed Booksellers and Publishers in The Hague. This catalogue which presents a comprehensive survey of the Hague-based international organs and institutions, has proved to be extremely helpful for educational purposes and saw a second edition early in 2006. (see Publications)

Voor Vrede Kun je Kiezen  / Peace is a Choice

In January 2004 JUDICAP arranged an Exhibition (“Peace is a Choice”) at the Mesdag Museum in The Hague to celebrate the centennial of the Carnegie Foundation [1904-2004], the foundation that administers the Peace Palace. A jubilee book was produced to commemorate this event.

Loevestein Castle, State Prison

Over 2004-05, JUDICAP was involved in an advisory and editorial capacity in the presentation at Loevestein Castle of the prominent role the castle played as a state prison in the days of the Dutch Republic, that is, from the days of the Dutch Revolt and the Remonstrant troubles up to the Napoleonic Era, and highlighting the imprisonment of Hugo Grotius among others.

Prins Maurits en Hugo de Groot: een drama in beeld

From November 2004 to February 2005 JUDICAP arranged an exhibition in the Municipal Museum in Gorcum (Netherlands) featuring history prints, rare books and manuscripts highlighting the troubled relationship between Hugo Grotius (the foremost lawyer and intellectual of the early Dutch Republic) and its Captain-General, Prince Maurice of Orange. A catalogue was produced [see publications] and lectures and powerpoint presentations were arranged.

Leyden and The Hague

In June 2005 JUDICAP arranged a jubilee exposition at the Hague Headquarters of the Law Faculty of Leiden University to celebrate the University Lustrum (1575-2005). The exhibition featured the history of the relationship between Leiden University and the Hague world of parliament, diplomacy and (international) judiciary. Leiden professors of international law from various phases of history were highlighted. The exhibition was accompanied by lectures and a powerpoint presentation

The Hague International Exhibition Centre

In 2005, at the invitation of the Bureau of International Affairs of the Hague Municipality, Judicap launched a permanent exposition Centre on The Hague as an international venue in City Hall. The centre highlighted the political, cultural, diplomatic and legal history of The Hague in a range of physical and multimedia presentations. An explanatory Guide and a range of factsheets accompanied this exhibition, which was discontinued in 2010.

A Peace Legend in The Hague

In December 2005, at the invitation of the International Peace Bureau in Geneva and the Austrian Embassy in The Hague, and with a grant from The Hague Municipality, JUDICAP arranged an exhibition in the Public Library in The Hague to commemorate the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1905 to the Austrian pacifist and feminist Bertha von Suttner. Lectures and debates accompanied this exhibition.

Peace Education at the Museon

As from December 2005 JUDICAP was involved in an advisory role in the arrangement of a permanent exhibition centre for youngsters and schools in the Museon (Museum of Education) in The Hague, featuring the city as an international centre of peace and security. This project was sponsored by the Hague Municipality.

The Hague in Moscow

In May 2006, at the invitation of the Hague City Executive, JUDICAP and the Hague Municipal Archives presented The Hague with an exhibition in the Dom Musika in Moscow in the wider context of a cultural week dedicated to The Hague in the capital of the Russian Federation.

An Australian Tour

Throughout August-December 2006 JUDICAP arranged an exhibition and a series of lectures and presentations on international law and peace studies at Australian universities and research centres, at the invitation of the Australian Institute of Comparative Legal Systems (AUICLS). Seminars were given on The Hague as an international centre, on the history of international law, on Dutch 17th century society and art, and on political science.

Feodor Martens

In 2007-2009 Judicap organised an exhibition on Feodor Martens and the Hague Tradition in Pärnu and Talinn (Estonia) in collaboration with the local Historical Museums. These were the corrolaries of earlier projects which earned Dr. Eyffinger the honorary citizenship (freedom) of Pärnu in 2003.

A Grotian Moment

In 2012 arranged an exhibition and lectures in the  New Chrurch in Delft (NL) to commemorate the Grotius Celebration on July 4, 1899 initiated by the U.S. Delegation to the First Hague Peace Conference

Women For Peace

In 2013 Judicap, at the invitation of the Hague Municipality, organised an exhibition in the Atrium in The Hague on Women for Peace, featuring Bertha Von Suttner (Austria), Jane Adams (U.S.A.) and Aletta Jacobs (NL)

A series of lectures and a monograph on Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Bertha Von Suttner (1905) accompanied this exhibition. See Publications.